How to Apply:
Free death records online no cost obituaries download free online death records free Rhode Island death records online how to find free online death records RI death records
- Death records 50 years or older are considered public records and may be obtained for free online at the Rhode Island State Archives.
- If you are looking for death records within the last 50 years, they are considered confidential and only someone with "direct and tangible interest" can obtain them.
- "Direct and tangible interest" is defined as:
- The person named on the certificate, a member of his/her immediate family, his/her guardian, or an authorized agent of these individuals
- Attorneys-at-law, title examiners, or members of legally incorporated genealogical societies conducting their official duties
- A person requiring information to determine or protect a personal or property right
- A person who has been granted a court order instructing the registrar to provide the document
- If you can prove your eligibility, simply download this form from the State of Rhode Island
Department of Health.
- Complete the above form and mail it, along with any applicable fees and a copy of your government issued photo identification, to:
Rhode Island Department of Health
Division of Vital Records
3 Capitol Hill, Rm. 101
Providence RI 02908-5097
- Firms, agencies, or individuals requesting information for commercial purposes are not considered to have direct and tangible interest.
- Any person who uses false statements to obtain a vital record may be fined up to $1,000, imprisoned for up to a year, or both.
- If the record is not found, you will be charged for the service. However, in most cases, you will receive a certified letter stating that the record was not located.
- There is an additional $2.00 for each year searched beyond the two-year period.